We are committed to developing gardens tailored to your lifestyle and maintenance needs. Our artisans create luxury gardens that have artistic flair, balanced proportions and practical uses.
Christie’s Fine Gardening, the client and nature work together to create an atmosphere that lifts the human spirit.
- We approach your garden with an artistic palette to create your domestic escape.
- We customize your garden to your natural conditions, style, and budget.
- We are committed to earth-friendly practices.
Christie Barry, co-owner
- Born in Toledo, Ohio and resided there and in Chicago and Bethlehem, Pa.
- Many summers were spent in New England as a camper and camp counselor.
- Student of the University of Richmond/Westhampton College and graduated cum laude with an English Major and Art minor.
- Her wide range of experiences in athletics, the applied arts, music, student government and clubs earned her the Phi Beta Kappa of leadership award (ODK).
- After college, Christie worked at Elk Hill Farm and the United Methodist Family Services with trouble youth. There, she met her husband of 34 years, Kevin Barry.
- She received her Masters of Education in Special Education in 1982, and worked in the public schools system and alternatives to corrections facilities.
- In the mid 80’s, she transitioned from education to work at Best Products headquarters as a procedure analyst, reorganizing workflow for many departments.
- In 1990, looking for alternatives to troubled youth and troubled companies, Christie worked at the Great Big Greenhouse and then teamed with Martha Gray, a renowned residential landscape designer.
- Through Martha’s referrals, Kevin’s co-ownership and a lot of hard work the company grew from there.
- Christie is certified by the Virginia Society of Landscape Designers and served on the board as Treasurer in 2010 and 2011.
- The “hands on approach” and cleverness in approaching a problem with clever and beautiful solutions is one of her greatest assets.
- She is currently writing a book entitled “The Soul of the Garden” which combines the practicalities of mindful gardening with stories of people who find healing in their garden space.
Kevin Barry, co-owner
- Son of a naval captain, he was born in Newport, Rhode Island and lived in Norfolk most of his life.
- His strong Irish Catholic upbringing and reverence to God-Country-Family carried forward the strong ethics inherent in Christie’s Fine Gardening.
- Obtained a Degree in Psychology at VCU and then a Master of Science degree in counseling from VCU.
- Kevin and Christie met at Elk Hill Farm in Goochland County, while working with troubled youth.
- Kevin moved into the world of business as a buyer at Best Products from 1985 – 1993.
- In 1993, he joined Christie’s Fine Gardening, drawing from his experience at Best Products to develop the company.
- Kevin’s supervision in lawn services, overseeing maintenance and a program of proactive pest management services make Christie’s Fine Gardening a premiere company.
- He consults regularly on site with area specialists and recently obtained a Class A contractor’s license for the business.
Miguel Guevara, lead supervisor
- Native to St. Miguel Allende in Central Mexico, a renowned village in the mountains for ex-pats and Americans who enjoy the applied arts.
- He has been with the company for 10 years and comes to us because of the H2B program visas.
- Miguel’s expertise in Mexico includes masonry and running his small farm with his 4 children and wife.
- Miguel’s has excellent leadership skills, a superb work ethic, and is fluent in English.
- He serves as an excellent on site manager for our maintenance crews who perform weeding, pruning and planting and for hardscape crew for brick and stone terraces and patios, retaining walls and water features.
Raul Morales, lawn supervisor
- Raul’s home is in central Mexico in the city of Michoacan where he has just started a new family.
- He also is here on an H2B visa and passport.
- He has been our on site supervisor of all lawn services which include mowing, fertilizing, aerating and seeding and fall leaf clean up for the past 12 years.
- His precision, good judgment and knowledge of what lawns need in the Richmond area is outstanding.
- Raul and Kevin consult weekly about how high to mow, the state of our equipment, and any new trouble spots in our lawns.
Emigdio Roderiguez, carpenter
- Emigdio is a highly skilled carpenter who also lives in San Miguel de Allende.
- Here he owned and operated a building company with 20 employees creating any structure relating to homes.
- He wanted less responsibility and stress and through Miguel, joined us here in the states.
- He is a perfectionist and creates with Christie striking garden accents such as, pergolas, arbors, trellis, fences, and decks.