What is Important in Choosing a Garden Plant?
These are the living features of the garden, which grow and change with the seasons, sunlight, watering and maintenance. For plantings to work in the landscape and grow into an artistic framework we decide:
- the right size of the plant at the time of planting and in future years.
- the time and color of the bloom.
- if blooms are seasonally varied and balanced in the beds.
- if growth habits flops and look messy or grows beyond the space allowed over the course of a few years.
- if a plant is so fabulous that it is worth taking more time to maintain.
- if bullet proof plantings are more your style.
Questions to Ask
When considering planting for your garden, the first few questions we ask are:
- Do you want to do anything yourself?
- Do you have the patience to let things grow?
- How long might you live in this house?
- What is your budget?
- Is there water available?
- Will you water regularly?
- Are there deer that may eat the plants?
- What is the soil like?
- Is there sun or shade?
- How much evergreen do you want?
- How much maintenance are you willing to perform and will you be doing it yourself?
- For which seasons are you home?
Christie and her terrific team created the perfect garden for us, complete with a beautiful fountain, bordered terrace, and walkway. She and I chatted about some ideas, and she came up with the perfect design for the new garden, complete with thoughtfully selected perennials and shrubs that bloom in turn through the seasons- it’s always beautiful and peaceful. Thank you so much, Christie!
It was a joy to meet with and work with Christie. She was very responsive to our ideas for our yard and offering many improvements that we would not have thought of because of her experience and knowledge of plants and landscaping design. Her crew was TOPS! We very much enjoyed seeing them work on our project. They came in and really got the job done! They were quite personable as well and were interested in seeing that we liked the work they were doing. We would definitely ask Christie and her crew back to do more work for us. Only wish they did interior work like carpentry etc. Good people are not that easy to find!!